I know that nobody is in the position to demand/claim/ask anything, but its just a question.

2 months ago there was all of a sudden a silence, no commits nothing.. 1 month later there was a post from i think zaffy that he was apologizing about his sudden absence due real life things.. understandable...

but after that it again went silent...
Is there something going on? is oregoncore dead if we may put it that way, whats going on?

Again its not that i or anybody can demand that people work on the repo/project we are not even in the position to ask/demand anything, but some clearance on whats going on would be nice..

wish you all well.

Dikkedeur.

i asked me the same questions...

i followed the new (revival) of oregon core project since the beginning and LordUsagi and Zaffy have done the most of the work, there where months with more activity, months with less activity but never realy a silence like this in the forum.

then with beginning of 2015 the project was getting stronger and stronger, more activity, some realy big features, more contributors and users, but suddenly... silence-

i never saw this since old OC was dying.
maybe the project leaders have some explanations or plans for the future, but the actual silence is not good, for sure

i just started to use oregon well in may i think.. so i dont know how it was before, although i knew that the project was dead and revived.
But it never looks good this way of silence, unless something big is being released and they are working on it silently.. but then at least let us know something.

I started learning and scripting in Oregon since August, and am still doing so.
It would be pretty sad to see it die, since  it has a lot of potential. Commits can take some time after all - depending what's being scripted, but I guess nothing is being scripted, even at slow pace since there are no replies on the forum from Main Devs regarding the future of this project.

to understand the situation all of you must understand the way this project was founded.

long long time ago TrinityCore has splitted from Mangos (i think everybody know this 2 projects) trinity wanted to integrate more hack like and not well done but well working code in the core, to get things done, Mangos wanted to do things in a proper way, and for this reason there where much features missing.

trinity was first only a fork who merged mangos with theyr own fixes, but later he become more and more a own project and now its doing stuf better then mangos. The main reason was that there was a strong community, a lot of sharing, feedback and contribution from the community.
A lot of users became dev over years, but not much old mangos derived devs are still left.

but whats the point, and what is this about OC?
(its only my point of view)

OregonCore derived from TrinityCore not for the same reasons, but for the Fact that TC has closed the support of 2.x expanson in 2009.
the project was even on Trinity forum announced as official fork for 2.x
there where a lot of devs, a lot of server owners and people who are contributing, but over the years the mentality has changed,
a lot of peole had done stuff private, dont give feedback, dont colaborate, its almost the oposite then on TC.

then some devs retired and the project died.
but Zaffy and Lordusagi has started a revival. on old OC theey where never Devs or Team Members, they where users like all others here in forum.

but they leared, had done a lot of stuff and most importat, they contributed (shared) stuff.
this has caused a revival of the project.

but now, they dont have much time, but there are a lot of people arround this forum, working with the core and having server online even making money (but how ever thats not the point) i know zaffy and lordusagi dont have any server project running. not even people for testing.

its all about the community to keep up development, its about feedback, contribution, testing and sharing, even if not all stuff is shared, its ok, but sharing nothing is bad.

if the community had the intention to keep the project alife by contributing, and joining the team, then it will be a future, else it will die again.

NOTE: i have decided for good reasons to NOT join the project and team again, its not cause they are bad, no way, it is a great team, its only cause i dont have time anymore, my time is over... i can still share knowlede but no coding for me... it was far long enougth in the past.

but i still think there are young motivated people out there, with server projects running who can profit from each other and work together, having fun and so on.

and i still think, there is no public repo ir project around out there for TBC who has so much features, and so much done!
the problems are details, sometimes reflecting as big showstopper but not hard to fix, and i know its a phantasie, but i would like to see TBC finaly done completely before it gets 10 years old wink

destiny, even wotlk is still not done, and was more developed then tbc, so i think its only a dream.. will it ever be done??? dont think so.. who knows.

future of oregoncore? future oregoncore - death.
For a long time I do not see the changes in the repository, developers abandoned the project.

Sorry for my bad english
obana wrote:

For a long time I do not see the changes in the repository, developers abandoned the project.

why don't you change something yourself and commit? That's the reason the core is dying, cause there is no hype, and there are so many people asking but not giving back...

I recently started with oregoncore and I will start committing things sooner or later, but what I got so far is that there are a few people including zaffy and lordusagi that want to help but they don't have time. If you can help em back, not only by committing fixes but even by just testing code and reporting issues am pretty sure they will reply and help you solve something.

Btw its much easier to find help on irc than in the issues, but generally no I dont think its dead or will ever be dead, cause it has died already and been revived and that will keep happening as long as there is a need for TBC.
Mangos is way behind on its TBC version so I think oregoncore is still the way to go, and eventually things will get fixed...

Complete core like desteny thinks... no that wont happen, thats too much to ask.

melon wrote:
obana wrote:

why don't you change something yourself and commit? That's the reason the core is dying, cause there is no hype, and there are so many people asking but not giving back...

I recently started with oregoncore and I will start committing things sooner or later, but what I got so far is that there are a few people including zaffy and lordusagi that want to help but they don't have time. If you can help em back, not only by committing fixes but even by just testing code and reporting issues am pretty sure they will reply and help you solve something.

Btw its much easier to find help on irc than in the issues, but generally no I dont think its dead or will ever be dead, cause it has died already and been revived and that will keep happening as long as there is a need for TBC.
Mangos is way behind on its TBC version so I think oregoncore is still the way to go, and eventually things will get fixed...

Complete core like desteny thinks... no that wont happen, thats too much to ask.

^Pretty much this.

I am working on Oregon for past two months, I've already pretty much fixed all of Outland quests, Events and Creature skills. But as far as I know Oregon aims for "nice clean short scripts" which mine are just long versions of those and exploitable I guess in some cases. That's why I don't commit them, unless I am sure I can bring them to Oregon standards.

I also posted some fixes to already made scripts, which were not working on fresh OreconCore. Even if this core development dies, it won't die on my PC till I stop working on it even if by myself.

i can only agree to melon and Selphius, cause if people in the past would had the same non sharing mentality like probably a lot of people in the last ~5years have we would not even login on an any server today!

but how ever peole think OC is death, dying or not only paused, i dont know, but it don't depends on devs or what ever, everyone has the possability to fork, and create a active community around a fork of OC, even if OC it self is inactive.

the best example is OC it self, a fork of inactive TC TBC branch.

dikkedeur wrote:

destiny, even wotlk is still not done, and was more developed then tbc, so i think its only a dream.. will it ever be done??? dont think so.. who knows.

you would not belive it, but there are cores around out there they are not far away to complete this task, and its not so hard, even with only 10 active devs, but if OC can conclude this task? probably not like it goes for the last months, but before it was on a not bad road.

how ever it depends on people who realy want to work with this stuff, but there are not much people out there who want realy spend a lot of time on such things, the most will use the core "as it is" with some scripting, some db fixes and maybe more, this will not make much improvements, thats true...
BUT, this small fixes, even if only one small db flag update, only a immunity on a boss or a aura fix are important!
it makes the differnce in detail. even if its a lvl 1 quest or a npc noome uses, all little pieces count.
and noone can expect a big update like MMAPS or Vmaps update or such stuff from the community, but the little things are important as well to share and contribute.

this keeps projects alife and let the devs not feel alone with tonns of problems.

-- my two cents --

Good news. OregonCore isn't dead!

Zaffy has convinced me to stay and finish some projects we had started internally with OregonCore.

Everything in this thread is quite accurate. We do need more contributors. Yes we do have a standard. Everything is appreciated, no matter how small.

We'll both keep an eye on pull requests, issue replies etc. and merge appropriate fixes.

The big problem for me was a lot of demanding. "Why isn't this fixed?" "Where's the answer? DEVS?! OREGON DEAD?!" That behavior is ridiculous and really takes a toll on what was a fun passion project and turns it into work, with "bosses" demanding an insane amount of work with very tight deadlines. I already have a job and I definitely did not need another one.

If you do have code you'd like to potentially submit, go ahead. The whole point of the project is to review each others work and form better project management habits as well as coding habits. Have someone review your code. Review someone elses! It's all in good faith.

glad that you took the time lord to reply to this thread.
I can fully understand that you get tired and demotivated when people are shouting/demanding things.
It will never work.
Glad that zaffy convinced you, and hopefully more people will join the oregon dev team, im not a c++ coder myself.
But what i can do is report things i come across and think along with the people in a possible solution even if its crap that i might be talking.

LordUsagi wrote:

The big problem for me was a lot of demanding. "Why isn't this fixed?" "Where's the answer? DEVS?! OREGON DEAD?!" That behavior is ridiculous and really takes a toll on what was a fun passion project and turns it into work, with "bosses" demanding an insane amount of work with very tight deadlines. I already have a job and I definitely did not need another one.

Absolutly true!!
it was the same for me years ago, and one of the biggest reasons for the death of the old oregoncore project!
Im realy sad to see that this attitude in the community here hasn't changed

of course there are a lot of people with good attitude around here but some with bad, and those few people destroy all with her way to act.

i dont want to ask for names, but for me back in ages there where a lot of discussions with certain people was the reason why i started leave. His way to demand things, to declare projects as dead and telling he has fixes but 99% no sharing was this kind of attitude i hate.

BTW: nice to see the project still running, but it must be clear for everyone that things must change, else it results in a disaster again (my 2 cents)

how this will be done is harder to decide or to get a idea, but im sure if there is more focus on contribution / attitude and community there can be done much more.
for example a ranking of contributors, with maybe badges you can earn to use this badges on issues (i little bit like stackoverflow) and penaties for bad attitude.

but you can even tell me "desteny you talking #$%^" wink

Why not just disregard such people? They can talk all they want "do it" "do that" "why this not work, so fix this" "fix that" etc.
who cares about them anyway, there should be something like "give and take", he does something for Oregon, you reward him by trying to help him in his/her problem, depending on difficulty.

Or you can just do something in lines of "closed project" and only those who "contribute" could see your work, commits and ask for help. Well it's up to you in those regards, if you feel angry at such people who only boss you around.

And like always... no comment, its only embarrassing https://bitbucket.org/oregon/oregoncore … 359885eaf2 ...

Selphius wrote:

Why not just disregard such people? They can talk all they want "do it" "do that" "why this not work, so fix this" "fix that" etc.
who cares about them anyway, there should be something like "give and take", he does something for Oregon, you reward him by trying to help him in his/her problem, depending on difficulty.

Or you can just do something in lines of "closed project" and only those who "contribute" could see your work, commits and ask for help. Well it's up to you in those regards, if you feel angry at such people who only boss you around.

I was thinking the same way, but its not a easy job, and i don't know if this is even ok for the project leaders, it breaks with the open source spirit and will be a hard change, but sometimes hard times need hard changes..

but hard to believe that one of the team will take the time to reorganize this all. it needs help for sure,. i'm talking about new motivated people who realy work with OC  (not like  i do, not even having a server since years) but if the team needs help, just ask,  things are moving and i can contribute i will help

Hi all
I think OC is dead

One of the most active developers, LordUsagi, doesn't work with OC any more.

I offer the remaining developers to start working with "Warlords of Draenor 6.2.3" based on Trinity Core

PadreWoW wrote:

Hi all
I think OC is dead

I offer the remaining developers to start working with "Warlords of Draenor 6.2.3" based on Trinity Core

since Lord didnt mention this in his last post or at least posted it, i assume this as a rumour and rumours are false unless the person that it involves says its true tongue

PadreWoW wrote:

Hi all
I think OC is dead

Please stop talking so much bullshit, and stop crying...

Learn to fix smth and help the Team.

Areradon wrote:
PadreWoW wrote:

Hi all
I think OC is dead

Please stop talking so much bullshit, and stop crying...

Learn to fix smth and help the Team.

He isn't obliged to do so, neither do he need to stick to TBC even if he can script etc.

Simply put if he wants to stick with WoD then he should do so, but I do not plan to accept his offer to go script WoD simply because I hate this expansion and how every next expansion destroys the WoW franchise in my eyes by making things easier with each new exp. Solo'ing Kil'jaeden, Lich King, Deathwing etc. is utter crap no matter how I look at it. In books etc. it was impossible to SOLO them. With how thing go we will be soloing Sargareas in no time at all.

WoW Game ended for me with Lich King expansion. End of story.

I am planning to help with OregonCore development.

where is the +1 button for Selphius tongue

dikkedeur wrote:
PadreWoW wrote:

Hi all
I think OC is dead

since Lord didnt mention this in his last post or at least posted it, i assume this as a rumour and rumours are false unless the person that it involves says its true tongue

Read comments

https://bitbucket.org/oregon/oregoncore … 5e498e5682

and yes you have also read what he wrote later on on the forums???
dont think so..
even if its in this thread you are blind to see and spread rumours.

here it is i copy paste it, just in case you are not able to read it in this thread.

LordUsagi wrote:

Good news. OregonCore isn't dead!
Zaffy has convinced me to stay and finish some projects we had started internally with OregonCore.
Everything in this thread is quite accurate. We do need more contributors. Yes we do have a standard. Everything is appreciated, no matter how small.
We'll both keep an eye on pull requests, issue replies etc. and merge appropriate fixes.
If you do have code you'd like to potentially submit, go ahead. The whole point of the project is to review each others work and form better project management habits as well as coding habits. Have someone review your code. Review someone elses! It's all in good faith.

enjoy.

Will see.......